While most of our players prefer to play their favourite games online, there are some truly fascinating happenings on the brick and mortar casino floors. Take a look at some of these astonishing facts below and try to keep a straight face the whole way through!
Origins of the Casino
- The first legal Las Vegas casino license was issued to a woman named Mayme Stocker in 1920 for the Northern Club, which offered only 5 games: stud poker, draw poker, lowball poker, 500 and bridge.
- John Montagu, the 4th Earl of Sandwich, invented the humble sandwich because he didn’t want to leave the gaming table to eat. He instructed his help to bring him some meat between two slices of bread so he could eat and play at the same time. Dedication at its finest!
- Charles Fey developed the first slot machine in 1895, very far away from Las Vegas. Housed in San Francisco, The Liberty Bell machine’s purpose was to keep customers occupied while their cars were being fixed.
Stuff You’re Not Meant to Know
- The lighting in a casino is modelled after an average living room in order to keep players comfortable and relaxed.
- Ever noticed how there are no clocks or windows on the casino floor? This creates an insulated, otherworldly feeling, to keep you staying longer.
- A standard 52-card deck has 2,598,960 unique 5-card hands, while a single pair has a 42.26 chance of showing up in any hand.
Weird Casino Laws
- Citizens of Monaco are forbidden to gamble in any of the State casinos, despite Monaco being widely considered the ‘gambling mecca’.
- Card counting is actually a technically legal strategy in Blackjack, but since it increases the chances of a player landing a decent jackpot, it is highly frowned upon.
- Casinos are illegal in Japan, but Pachinko parlours are allowed. Pachinko is a slot-like game where small silver balls are won and can be traded for items. Players can also visit designated state-run shops to exchange the silver balls for cash, however, effectively creating a loophole.
A Gross Fact (Brace yourself!)
Many players are so convinced that if they leave their slot machine, they will miss out on the big jackpot. Because of this, some have been known to wear adult diapers so they don’t have to waste time by visiting the restrooms! Eew!